Glossary of Food Words
Browse by letter:
- Red cabbage braised
- Sliced red cabbage, red wine, port, cassis, orange, cinnamon stick, red currant jelly and red onion.
- Red pepper chutney
- Roasted red pepper brunoise, onions, garlic, white balsamic vinegar, honey and rosemary.
- To reduce
- When we reduce a stock or sauce, we are quickly simmering the liquid. The water then will evaporate and the flavour will intensify.
- Rice pudding
- A classical English dessert made with rice, cream and sugar.
- A coarse spread made of meat, poultry or fish and always served cold. This is called potted meat because rillettes are often covered with a layer of lard and stored for a period of time to age the mixture.
- An Italian dish made by gradually adding hot stock to starchy short-grained (Arborio) rice, stirring constantly until the rice is cooked and creamy. Risotto usually is made with butter or olive oil, onions and seasonings, but vegetables, meat, seafood, cheese, herbs, etc. are also often added.
- Food that has been fried to a crisp.
- Basically it is an aioli with saffron and spiced with chillies and cayenne pepper.
- To roast
- Roasting is cooking with dry heat, typically in an oven.
- For the French preparation, roulade, meat is thinly sliced and rolled around a filling. The packet is secured with a string or pick, browned, then braised or baked in stock or wine. Alternately it can be a ready to eat mixture wrapped with cooled meat, smoked salmon, etc… no need to cook again.
- The name given to a garnish including foie gras and truffles(eg:pommes or steak Rossini)
- A thick paste made with flour, milk, butter used to thicken sauces
- Rum baba
- Basically brioche dough shaped, cooked, and then soaked in rum and sugar syrup.
- The hind part of the body of an animal, where the legs and the back come together. With birds, the area of the lower back, above where the tail attaches to the body.
Go back to Pearl Restaurant Menu.
Go back on top of Glossary.
Vladislav Jankovych » Pearl Restaurant London » Information » Food Culinary Glossary » Letter R