Glossary of Food Words
Browse by letter:
- An Irish whisky cream liqueur
- To bake
- To cook in the oven. The terms baking and roasting are often used interchangeably, but roasting usually implies cooking at a higher temperature — at least at the beginning — to get the surface of the foods to brown.
- To baste
- To moisten food during cooking with pan drippings, sauce, or other liquid. Basting prevents foods from drying out.
- This is an anglaise that is set with gelatine.
- Beetroot purée
- A puree made with beetroot, cream and port.
- Usually a bite size and deep fried, mix of fish, meat, vegetable or fruit.
- Black pudding
- A sausage made with pigs blood, apples and spices known as boudin noir
- To blanch
- To steep in boiling water to soften, whiten, clean or to make the skin easier to peel.
[Cambridge:] to put vegetables or similar foods into boiling water for a few minutes to make them white, remove the skins, get rid of strong flavours, or prepare them for freezing.
- To boil
- To cook in a liquid heated until it is bubbling.
- Bone marrow
- This is the gelatinous fat inside of a bone
- Reduced rich fish soup with saffron and lemon oil.
- To braise
- To cook with “moist heat”, typically in a covered pot and covered with liquid (wine/stock/sauce).
- Classic French dish made with potato and flaked smoked haddock or salted cod.
[Bostonchefs:] A pounded combination of salted or smoked fish, olive oil, garlic, milk and cream.
- Flour, milk, yeast are mixed with a large amount of butter to make a very soft, buttery dough. It is then baked like bread then sliced and toasted.
- Brochette / kebab
- A metal/wooden stick/skewer is push through meat/vegetables/fish and is either pan–fried or more commonly char grilled.
- A method of cutting vegetables into tiny dice, often used as a garnish.Carrots,celeriac,thyme, rosemary
- Butternut gratin
- Butternut squash, onion, garlic, sage, brillat savarin and mascarpone, bacon.
- Butternut squash fondant
- Caramelised squash disk cooked in stock
Go back to Pearl Restaurant Menu.
Go back on top of Glossary.
Vladislav Jankovych » Pearl Restaurant London » Information » Food Culinary Glossary » Letter B